Thursday, January 21, 2010

Doing Homework



I am in the kitchen simmering soup, stirring mashed potatoes and buttering rolls when I look at the kitchen table that needs to be set. As I look at the open laptop and books and paper scattered about, amongst play-doh and Lucky Charms, I realize that I was right in the middle of doing my homework...so how did I suddenly appear in the kitchen making dinner?

Well, I remember my two year old princess asking me to put on her Belle dress, and her crown (her shoes she put on by herself) then scurry away only to appear moments later with the inevitable VHS of the classic Disney movie Beauty and the Beast. I admit that I am very proud inside that this is her favorite princess movie (since Belle is the brunette princess who loves books!) So of course I am pulled into the playroom to put the movie on for her, hoping that it would also provide me with some quiet time to finish my homework. Of course I have to rewind it first, (blast you VHS! although DVDs are almost as bad with their unskippable menus!) as I patiently rewind it I realize that many of the other VHS tapes are in need of rewind, so I que those up in my special VHS rewinder.

As I do this the Belle song comes on and Ashlyn (princess) just lights up and begins to sing, with basket and book in hand just as Belle does (well, a halloween bucket from Jack-in-the-Box and the Book of Mormon, which really does resemble the book Belle carries). Soooo sweet! So I call in my husband to see our little starlet in action. In the middle of her performance he discovers a heinous smell that is almost immediately recognized as our dog pooping in the house! I am fairly strong when it comes to changing a bad baby diaper, but this dog poop just instantly hits my puke reflex and I have to hold my breath ‘til I think I’m going to pass out.

Going back into the playroom, where the smell was least pungeant and after a thorough spray of Glade Apple Cinnamon Air freshener all over the house twice over, I see my little princess now with her basket on one arm and book in her other, she is totally mimicking Belle’s character and acting out her own performance. I almost cry in slightest hopes of her living out my childhood dreams of becoming a star, and am not sure if I want to cry out of excitement or fear. I really don’t.

Looking at the clock it is almost six, and the dinner hour. That means I need to get my butt in the kitchen and figure something that is easy and won’t cause too much guilt on my motherly conscious that makes me feel complete responsibility for the health and well-being of my family through the groceries I buy and meals I make. And here I am, making mashed potatoes out of a box, a can of chunky soup and hawaiian rolls. Tah-dah! That’s how I do homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment